navi bar hide

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Gardening


The fruits of labor - a table overflowing with fresh garden vegetables!  What I planted from seed got eaten by animals twice.  So this year was a costly garden lesson.  In the end I just ended up buying huge plants from English Gardens on sale and I should have spent the money there instead of on the seeds.  The lettuce was the only thing that worked out from seed.

I bought a large eggplant plant that already had flowers on it.  I also bought a huge green pepper plant that had 10 peppers growing already.  These have turned out prolific.  I also went to the Farmer's Market on the weekend to buy a tomato plant that was still a baby.  This plant however took off and is producing an insane amount of roma tomatoes.  I harvest around 7 a day!  Next year I'm just going to use my money on plants that are already started with really strong stalks. 

Tip of the day: pick off all your flowering fruit when the plants are small.  It will make the plant grow longer, taller, stronger which means better and more fruit later.  It's a lesson in delayed gratification and sacrifice! It hurts to pull off that baby green fruit!!  Just like how God works  you through hard obstacles in life which are painful, but it produces better fruit later!

It's a joy to bless neighbors and family with abundant fruit and eggs from the chickens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment