navi bar hide

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Gardenholics Anonymous

Over the past couple of weeks I have been planting vegetables and buying flowers for the yard.  It's hard work but hopefully it will pay off!  I mostly planted perennials with the exception of marigolds and vegetables.



There are about ten peppers already starting to grow.  There are some strawberries turning pink, eggplants flowering, and lettuce abundant.





Greek Oregano.  The secret to Greek food...or so I am convinced.

Orange and Red Bi-Colored "About Face" around the lamp post















Baby Robin
We also bought a charcoal grill at Lowe's for $50 and had our very first cookout at the new house.  We cooked steak, shrimp, asparagus, potatoes, and corn.  It was interesting getting used to cooking on charcoal.  It was great to use my garden fresh basil, thyme, rosemary, and oregano for the spices!


On Saturday we went to Tractor Supply to buy more chicken supplies.  We also had brunch with Rebecca.  She brought her husky along and we fed her bacon.  She was such a sweet dog!

There are a lot of black squirrels here that eat all the food I put out for the birds.  This one wasn't very scared of us.


As Ben was checking on the chickens, he told me that they are begging him to come out of their fenced area.  Ben is pretty much a bird whisperer, so we let the chickens out.  They slowly started pecking around at the ground and found my azalea plant to munch on so it was time to let them back in.  For some reason, my "Go back!" didn't work, but Ben's clucking seemed to lead them back into the gate.



These two are inseparable.  My next door neighbor greets them in the morning with, "Good morning, girls!"
 

Double Rainbow

It was a really hot weekend, but it was beautiful.  I got to take a nap on Sunday, which I never do.  Driving around in the sun exhausted me.  I've been trying to deliberately have fun and rest.  I think I have a tendency to work too hard and I'm trying to enjoy life at a slower pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment